I had a blog post draft on travelling light waiting to go live for quite some time now (created May 2013) but never got to publish it. Three surf trips later I am sitting here again thinking about what to take with me in October. It’s Bali time again and I promised myself to improve my pack list and also scale down the items to a minimum.
Travelling light – the experiment
In order to shorten my pack list, all items that were not used last year will be eliminated from the list. Also, to make it more fun, I will only use a carry-on bag in combination with a waist-pocket (for money, passport and phone).
My Osprey Farpoint 40 will hold 40 liter (who would have guessed that?).
Items I will bring to Bali
- Visa (or rather 30€, 35$ or 435.000 INR for the Visa on Arrival)
- Money (€, $ and IDR in case there is a problem with the ATMs)
- Credit Card
- ATM Card
- Driver’s License (as an additional document to the passport)
- Flip Flops 1x
- Running or Hiking Shoes (I chose my Salewa Firetail GTX) 1x
- T-shirts -> standard ones 6x | beach 2x (both cotton) | syntetic 2x (Odlo)
- Rash Guard 1x
- Board Shorts / Bikini 3x
- Cargo Pants/Shorts 2x
- Long pants (for the plane and for trekking tours)
- Lightweight Rain Jacket
- Fleece Jacket
- lightweight duffel bag (as extra carry on or daypack)
- eagle creek pack-it specter cubes/sack
- Lightweight towels (S & XL)
- Toiletries/Medicine/Sunscreen/First Aid basics
- Sunglasses polarized
- Camera Equipment -> iPhone (I did not use the GoPro last time, so I am not allowed to take it according to the rules I set for myself)
- iPhone Charger
- Notebook -> iPad
- Books -> iPad (via Kindle App)
Aaaaand…ready to go! I will sum up my experiences with this travelling light experiment in a later blog post – so stay tuned!